Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cream of Mushroom soup, a la Morel style

When I first posted pictures of the morel mushrooms we found, I thought we were going to have a landslide of mushrooms.  It was all a cruel joke!  We didn't see another mushroom for a whole week.  Maybe a little longer.  By that time I figured that was all we were going to get.  Not so.

The other day the girls and I went out for a little jaunt in our woods.  We were stopping to smell the proverbial roses and enjoy the great outdoors.  Along the way we found a whole host of "fluffies".  Here is what a "fluffy" is:

A weed gone to seed. 


Chloe blew the "fluffy" seeds all over Sophie. 

Before we ran into the gold mine of morels, we also found two hummingbird nests.  They were so tiny and so detailed.


Once we found our gold mine of morels and gathered them, we took them into the house to prepare for the soup.  Now honestly, I can't stand mushrooms.  Mushroom soup is not my favorite either.  For my people I will cook mushrooms though.  Soup was the vote, soup they got.

OK, I actually have a vision in my head anytime I think of mushrooms:  Frodo Baggins and Hobbits.  I'm not a hobbit, therefore I don't eat mushrooms!  I'm not hairy like hobbits either. 

Onto those lovely specimens that make true mushroom lovers quiver with excitement!

After washing and soaking the mushrooms in salt water to kill the bugs, we sauteed them in butter and tossed in a chopped onion for good measure.  I'm sure hobbits like onions too.  Well, I like onions but like I said, I'm not a hobbit...


When that was done, I added milk, chicken soup base, thyme, salt, and pepper and viola!  Mushroom soup!

They all thoroughly enjoyed the soup and I had something else.  I don't remember what I ate, but it was something else.  Personally, I think the hunt for the mushroom is fun, just not eating them.  I think the mushroom season is about done, so I won't have to cook them for another year.  Then the nostalgia will spring forth from their brains and the memories of the soup and how good it was, and we'll be out hunting down mushrooms once again.

Until then, no mushrooms for us.

Tammy

No comments: